Friday, March 13, 2009

Nice things are nice.


I really like flower arrangement.

It's a fascinating art-form to me. Blending nature's majesty with human creativity. Recently I was turned on to Ikebana, which is the Japanese "version" of flower arrangement. I'm consistently blown away by this style of minimalist expression.

So, yeah, flowers have some awesome colors, and I find it interesting how people who know how to use color blend them into specific patterns. With Ikebana, the arrangement is as much about color as it is the stems, leaves and form. That LOW album cover is a traditional flower arrangement, and while the spectrum of pink is cool, it's a bit lacking. Now, go back to those first two pictures. THAT is Ikebana. Fuck yes. Look at how the positioning creates a landscape, and the colors bring about certain emotions. How everything bends very carefully and specifically to form a movement, guiding your eyes in a CERTAIN manner.

I am way down with flowers.

No comments: