Thursday, December 10, 2009

Michael Shannon

Two days ago, before I went off to work, I look at my email I had an invitation to a private premiere at the IFC Center on Friday! Oooh boy lucky me, well, I am a member of the IFC Center (Auteur level MMMMMM). But what was the premiere of? The film My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? which is a film both Dash and I have been looking forward to for a while. It's directed by Werner Herzog, produced by David Lynch and stars Michael Shannon, Chloƫ Sevigny, Willem Dafoe and even Udo Kier! This is exciting! Also, the invitation said that Herzog, Dafoe and Shannon were all going to be attending! OH MY GOD. Here's the trailer:



After I RSVP'd, I got another email stating that I was on the standby list because too many people had RSVP'd. Meaning I probably was not going to be able to go. :[

AH WELL. Anyway, the main lead in this movie is Michael Shannon. A person who I consider to be my favorite living actor. He hasn't been acting as long as say DeNiro, Spacey, Freeman or whomever else, but he has the ability and the skill to have a body of work that could possibly outshine them all.



Shannon has a manner about him that makes him distinctive in the movies he's in. You notice how he's unique, he's not a character actor like Mike Myers or Jim Carrey. However, he's not really with the other side either, you know, the actors who always seem to be playing a version of themselves like Christopher Walken or Al Pacino. He's in the middle, able to meld into any role, but still retain the aspects of himself that make him stand out.

I first noticed Shannon in the movie Bug, a surrealist movie based on a play (that he was in) about a woman who befriends a man (Shannon) and they both go sort of crazy. His performance was very off-putting and I became curious about this guy.

Then I saw the movie Shotgun Stories, here's the trailer:



This movie absolutely blew me away. I really really REALLY recommend all of you find it and watch it. Shannon is the lead in this and to say he has a presence is a great understatement. He barely raises his voice or changes his expression, yet it all shines through.

The movie that led to a lot of people noticing Michael Shannon and his skill was Sam Mendes' film Revolutionary Road. He played a mentally ill son whose mother was a neighbor to Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, who played the lead couple. His performance was riveting and led him to an academy award nomination.



So every last one of you needs to check out this guy. Here's a list to get you started:

1. Shotgun Stories
2. Bug
3. Revolutionary Road
4. The Woodsman
5. Before the Devil knows You're Dead
5. The Missing Person

-James

Now playing: Okkervil River - Red

No comments: