Sunday, December 14, 2008

A National Treasure.

Ladies and Gentleladies. Nicolas Cage is a one of my favorite actors. I now present an IMDB journey of a man who has brought hours of joy to my life.

Valley Girl (1983) - I still haven't seen this. (EDIT: 1/10/09 - I have now seen this. It's great. Legitimately.)

Raising Arizona (1987) - Remember when you were laughing WITH Nicolas Cage and not AT him? A great film from the Coens and a really touching, funny performance from Cage.

Wild At Heart (1990) - Holy Moley. This is a David Lynch movie...and Nicolas Cage is the star. Do I need to say more? I do? Ok. This might be my favorite Lynch movie. Nicolas Cage and Laura Dern are crazy in love and they go on a road trip. Willem Dafoe and Crispin Glover are in this. CRISPY!! Jeez, just watch it already.

Red Rock West (1992) - This is a severely overlooked "neo-noir" movie featuring awesomeness from both Cage AAAAND Mr. Dennis Hopper. A real gem.

Leaving Las Vegas (1995) - A FUCKING Academy Award-winning performance.

The Rock (1996) - Ok. Here's where things start getting interesting. It's a common thing for an actor to follow up on an Oscar by doing a bad action movie or a bad thriller. Now, I don't think the Rock is a terrible movie, but it does set the stage for the second half of his career. I would say this is the tipping point. Every move Nicolas Cage makes from here on out is "Post-The Rock".

Con Air (1997) - The Second Act of his "I'm now a viable action star" trilogy. Insane cast. I just recently saw this for the first time with James (my friend!). Totally enjoyable for the type of movie that it is.

Face/Off (1997) - Here is where we reach critical mass. Nicolas Cage has more money than he knows what to do with. He's been pushed to the brink of madness. I think it was all those fake explosions that knocked a screw loose in his brain. Regardless, Cage becomes insanely more fascinating to me from now on.

City of Angels (1998) - And now I have that Goo Goo Dolls song in my head...

8MM (1999) - I'm pretty sure this is a legit thriller, but I haven't seen it in a very long time.

Adaptation. (2002) - Nicolas Cage is DOUBLE-compelling in this already compelling film by Charlie Kaufman. How he got inolved in this is beyond me, but that's where Charlie Kaufman lives...beyond us.

National Treasure (2004) - The second best franchise in recent memory. Cage acts really cagey (double meaning!) in this. It's a bad flick, but in a good way. I can't quite put my finger on why I enjoy it so much. Aside from the fact that the dude acts totally bonkers the whole way through and it's always entertaining.

The Weather Man (2005) - Gore Verbinski is a great director and NC is rather charming in this.

The Wicker Man (2006) - Not to be confused with The Weather Man. Not at all.

Ghost Rider (2007) - One of the worst movies ever made. Nic's madness is palpable while viewing this. He drinks a martini full of jellybeans!

Next (2007) - Horrible movie. AARGH! So bad. Good wig though. AARGH! Great wig.

National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007) - Remember how bat-shit he was in the first movie. Multiply that by tweleventeen.

I haven't seen Bangkok Dangerous yet, but I will be reporting on it and whatever else Nicolas Cage does from here on out. I love this man.

No comments: