Thursday, July 23, 2009

Love Your Friends

So in Episode 29: "Loops, Loops, Loops", listener and all-around wonderful guy Jeff (AKA VultureMoose) sent us a really touching email that we read on the air. It's about the passing of a dog named Buzz. Here it is:

Hey James and Dash,

I'm going off topic with what you want to hear this week, but I feel like it's important. I'm talking about animals and our connections to them.

Last night, while hanging at Rachel's, her dog Buzz was out of it, so to speak. He had thrown up earlier in the day and was just lying down too much, tail not wagging. The mom was nervous all day, and I knew something was wrong. Around 10pm, Rachel's mom and dad take the dog to a 24/7 vet. We hear nothing for awhile. I head home because I need to get up for work early and need sleep. When I get home I give Rachel a call and I hear what I didn't want to: they had to put Buzz down because of stomach bleeding.

Now I've never had my own dog. My parents had one when I was real young, but I've never experienced it. However, I grew really close with Buzz over the two years since meeting Rachel. He was great, happy, fun...everything you could want. Hearing this brought me way down because it came out of nowhere and I feel more pain for an animal who has no say in what happens.

What I'm talking about is the connections we have with animals. They are innocent, good-natured and welcoming for the most part. They give you attention and you give them attention. Dogs in particular are always happy to see somebody. Humans...not so much. We hold gripes, get angry, etc. etc. When I look at the simplicity and beauty of animals, I feel bad and ashamed of how we act as humans sometimes.

I'm ranting, going off on tangents, but I needed to talk.

Point is: Out of nowhere a great companion died. Rachel and her family are grieving over it, and I, for the first time, feel true sadness for an animal, never having one myself. If it isn't too much, maybe the next podcast you could dedicate to Buzz. He was a cool ass dog and cared for people as much as people cared for it. It may seem goofy...but I would appreciate it. People have strong connections with animals.

-Jeff

I've had three pets die in my life. Grease Monkey, Precious and Quorthon, all cats. I reacted differently to each death. With grease's, I was more confused. With Precious, I was scared and clinging. With Quorthon, I was in disbelief and devastated.

I had different relationships with each of them. Just like with our fellow humans, animals come with distinct personalities and we meld with them in different ways. Our pets are not just things to be played with or bothered by, they are living creatures who feel, albeit more instinctively, emotions just like us.

Do not treat your pets as you would furniture or an annoying kid. Don't think of them as "just animals" or unimportant. All they want from you is affection and love. Treat them as you would a friend or a family member that you care for. Understand that what you give them will be given back.

Dash recorded a song in tribute to the late/great dog Buzz. It's not a requiem, and it isn't full of gloom and sadness. It's like what our relationships with animals should be: joyful. Download it.

In memory of all animals friends and family who are gone, we love you.

-James

Now playing: Old Man Gloom - Christmas Eve, Parts I, II, & III

1 comment:

Old Milk said...

Thank you guys so much for everything.....for dedicating the podcast to my dog, james - for discussing human being's natural love and attachment to animals, and dash - for writing a song to commemorate the passing of my pup.

I am so thankful and I know that somewhere my dog is wagging his tail right now.