Saturday, January 2, 2010

NEW AND OLD

IT'S THE YEAR 20X DICKWEEDS, SO HOLD ON TIGHT OR YOU'LL GET THROWN INTO OBLIVION.

So here's some stuff that I'm experiencing in the new year:

The book Spirit and Flesh by Dr. James Ault. Ault is a sociology professor and documentary filmmaker, and this book is a companion piece to his movie Born Again. Both are about the time he spent in a fundamentalist baptist church, studying and learning about the people and practices within it. The perspective is as unbiased as he can be, since he's viewing the time in a sociological manner. It's a really neat book on a way of life that not a lot of people, myself included, know much about.

The 2010 demo by the hardcore band John Wilkes Youth:



I'm not well versed in the world of punk and hardcore, but I definitely like some of it. Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Paint it Black, Killing the Dream, Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Pulling Teeth, all great bands to me. So when I hear that two friends of mine are in a hardcore band, knowing full well that they are good at hardcore already, I am interested. The demo is fast, heavy, and aggressive, go download it! http://www.myspace.com/johnwilkesyouth

The television show Man V. Food:



Everybody should know I like food. With my love of blogs about it, morbid fascination with what people get for their last meal on death row, and interest in school lunches from around the world, I sure do like to talk about it too. Friend and former guest of the podcast, Mike "Awesome" showed me two episodes of this show and I was hooked. It has this dude Adam go around the nation and hit up the best "pig-out" spots. He eats a lot of unhealthy food and also takes on food challenges, like eating a 72oz steak in under an hour or eating six of the spiciest buffalo wings in the state without water. It's like binging vicariously!

And here's a list of the top 20 artists/acts that I listened to on my computer in 2009:

1 Neurosis - 409
2 Enslaved - 346
3 Queens of the Stone Age - 330
4 Coil - 305
5 Tomahawk - 278
6 Clint Mansell - 260
7 Andrew W.K. - 250
8 Ceremony - 243
9 Pendulum - 236
10 Rosetta - 231
11 Daft Punk - 228
12 Toroidh - 204
12 Nine Inch Nails - 204
14 Liars - 201
15 The Green Evening Requiem - 200
16 Arvo Pärt - 193
17 Gojira - 183
18 Jesu - 170
18 Converge - 170
20 The Beach Boys - 167

HAPPY NEW YEAR

No comments: