Sunday, January 25, 2009

In Which Dash Yells at Everyone About a Singer-Songwriter

So, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that most, if not all, of you reading this know that, I Dashiell O. Coombs the 1st, love folk music. The calm, the laid-backness, the hushed, the lyrics about death, insomnia and women! The fact that certain artists make me want to stay and smoke a doob makes folk a very special and important part of my life. And I want to share it, with you!
James and I share a lot of similar music tastes. We've gotten each other into a lot of neat bands and artists. He showed me Bathory and The Legendary Pink Dots, for which I will be forever grateful. I showed him Liars and Fucked Up, and I know he enjoys them. One musician that I recently got into is Nick Drake.

Nick Drake! Click it.
Nick Drake is an easy guy to classify. He's lilting and melodic. Whimsical with an edge. And he loves sticking to a specific mood. He's definitely had an influence on Robert Smith and
Badly Drawn Boy, and Heath Ledger recorded a song of Drake's for a tribute album. Check those guys out too.

I got into this guy through his most famous album, "Pink Moon". It's a concept album based on the novel "Pink Moon" by Bram Stoker. Yeah, you fucking read that right. An album about a pink moon and it's sworn enemy Captain Pink Moon. I mean, that is pretty god-damned folk right?
Here are some sample lyrics:

Pink moon gonna get you all
It's a pink moon
It's a pink, pink, pink, pink, pink moon.

Know that I love you
Know I don't care
Know that I see you
Know I'm not there.


Alright, I'm done ripping off James. I just got a hold of all three of Nick Drake's albums and I sincerely love all of it. I can't recommend them
enough.

No comments: