Monday, October 26, 2009

Batman Costumes, Opinions on

So another Monday has come upon us which means either a NEW EPISODE IS BEING POSTED YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY...or we're doing a joint post. (The latter one is what's happening.)

Still cool though right? RIGHT?! So we decided that since we both love comics, specifically Batman, and it's near Halloween, why not talk about numerous different styles of the Cape and Cowl outfit for you guys!

First up is by the guy who is known as the father of Batman, Bob Kane:


James - I'm not a huge fan of blue in my Batman, but it's a classic. Too simple is almost always better than too much.

Dash - I've always been a fan of the old costume. However, the black bat emblem doesn't really work for me. Big smiles!

Next is the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh, an alien planet, recently brought back by Grant Morrison:


James - Colorful. But Batman is dark, and his clothes should reflect this. However, if you want to show Batman being crazy, it's perfect.

Dash - Batman went crazy this one time and created the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh. Big fan of the purple cape. This is like Batmans' royal outfit...in Spain.

Now here's Batman done by Doug Moench:


James - I dig what he's going for, but it just seems too unwieldy. Batman needs to move fast, giant ears won't help that.

Dash - Ohhh big-eared, pointy-shouldered Batman. This period of his costume was about when I started reading Batman comics. That said, it's not a great design.

Batman (and Robin) by Frank Quitely, the artist doing Batman now:


James - This is great! Batman looks menacing, realistic and human.

Dash - My favorite part of this costume are the boots, they're athletic, which is very important and surprising that no one has thought of before. Also, the black bat emblem totally works on this one for some reason.


Batman by Jim Lee:
James - Still not digging the blue. I like that the belt looks real though, I prefer pouches to tiny cupboards or whatever those things usually look like.

Dash - I do prefer the dark blue. This design is fine, I just REALLY do not care for Jim Lee's pencils.

Paul Pope's take from "Batman: Year 100":


James - Dark and withered looking Batman with scary teeth. Great stuff!

Dash - This looks more like Frank Miller's design from "Batman: Year One", which I guess makes sense since this is from "Batman: Year 100"! Hey! Love it.

Sam Kieth's Batman:


James - Kieth always over-exaggerates features, so while I love his work, in terms of costume this isn't my favorite.

Dash - Guh. I get the style, but I hate this interpretation.

Frank Miller's Batman, one of the most famous takes on the character:


James - Large Batman scares me! I love it though.

Dash - That yellow emblem!!!!! Soooooooooo into this one.

NOW ONTO MOVIE/TELEVISION COSTUMES

Adam West/'60's:


James -As a joke, fantastic. For fighting crime, you're dead.

Dash - One of my favorites. Love those eyebrows. Take the act that no one involved in the production of this show was taking it seriously and this might be the best Batman costume ever. Maybe.

Burton/Keaton's:


James - Are the abs needed? And I prefer my Batman almost all black/grey. Good effort though.

Dash - Gross.

Schumacher/Kilmer's:


James - Talk about unnecessary muscles! And the nips! Blech.

Dash - Grosser.

Schumacher/Clooney's:


James - STILL BLECH.

Dash - Are those SNAPS on his cape!?!?!?!

Nolan/Bale's:



James - It's a bit much, but realistically it makes sense. It's all armor. I like it.

Dash - Definitely the best of the movie versions. Agree with James here.

Have any opinions? Think we missed a great/atrocious costume? Email us at wearefriendspodcast@gmail.com

-Your Friends

No comments: