Thursday, October 1, 2009

MoMA Art: Part 2

This is the continuation of this post, where I show all you lovely people some of my favorite pieces when my mother and I went to MoMA. Remember to click on the paintings to have them enlarged!

Four Panels for Edwin R. Campbell - Wassily Kandinsky



MME Kupka Among Verticals - František Kupka



Student With a Pipe - Pablo Picasso



Armored Train in Action - Gino Severini



Dynamism of a Soccer Player - Umberto Boccioni



The Sleeping Gypsy - Henri Rousseau



Opus 217. Against the Enamel of a Background Thythmic with Beats and Angles, Tones, and Tints, Portrait of M. Félix Fénéon in 1890
- Paul Signac



Chère Petite Soeur - Tacita Dean



-James

Now playing: Enslaved - Essence

2 comments:

Old Milk said...

I love a lot of these paintings.

Kandinsky is credited for creating the first purely abstract works of art that do not include a subject. He aimed to create paintings that were inspired by the classical music he was listening to at the time. I love the idea of trying to depict what we hear. His work kind of reminds me of musical notes that aren't attached to a staff but rather fly all around the page in a jumbled colorful mess.

Rousseau's work was way ahead of it's time. He wasn't formally trained at all and actually taught himself how to paint. He was looked down upon for this in the art community. I like his work because to me there's something semi-childlike about it. His proportions tend to be a bit off and elements of his paintings tend to be exaggerated. His work is very surreal......in fact, he inspired a large group of Surrealist artists.

Oh! And if you've ever been to Grounds for Sculpture (my place of work) we have a recreation of a Rousseau piece in the form of sculpture. The piece is called "The Dream". http://ralphlosey.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/rousseaudream.jpg
and here's the sculpture at Grounds for Sculpture!
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/images/r_1834.JPG

We're Friends! said...

I love the way he did the lions' eyes!

-James